After a couple of weeks, we returned to Columbus via train. The one thing I remember was that when we opened our luggage after we arrived at his parent's house, a pistol had been stolen out of our luggage. This was a pistol he had acquired in Italy and was a German luger. We only stayed with his parents a short while. We started looking for a place to stay and rented a room in a boarding house on Main Street on the way to Reynoldsburg. We had to eat all our meals out and about this time I discovered that I was pregnant. We arranged to buy a house in a housing complex and had to wait until the house was finished before we could move in.

Paul took his old job back at the Ohio Fuel Gas Company and it was pretty lonely in this one little room all day. After World War II whoever employed service personnel were obligated to return them to the job they had at the time they left for the service. However, since this job did not pay well he began searching for a better one. He obtained a job as service manager in an automobile dealership. The dealership was located several miles across town from our house. We only had one car so days that I needed to go to the grocery or any other shopping trip I would get up early and drive him to work. Then return to pick him up at the end of the day. Later he changed jobs and worked for Neil Rush who was a Nash dealer. Paul was the manager of the body shop there. We were by this time living in the first house that we had ever purchased. It was at 1127 Meadow Dale Ave. just off of Broad St. near Franklin Park. The real estate transfer was in the Columbus Dispatch Feb. 24, 1946.

On our first wedding anniversary July 4th, Paul, who was ever the romantic, had a dozen red, long stemmed roses delivered to me. I took a picture of the roses sitting on our kitchen table. I did not have flash bulbs and took it with a time exposure. The Kodak camera I used has a history. It had been retrieved from a dead German soldier by the husband of one of the women with whom I had been in the service. It no doubt had originally belonged to an American GI and the German soldier had taken it from his body. This was 20 days before Tim was born and I felt that red roses were very extravagant considering our financial circumstances. We had no health insurance.

From the time we met, Paul had always said he wanted to live out of town on acreage. He thought this would be a good place to rear children. We would take Sunday afternoon rides looking for places in the country. We wanted it to be big enough for a garden and to be able to have a few farm animals.On Meadowdale we lived next door to George Sandusky, who was the son of the Franklin County Sheriff. George's Dad owned a sizeable farm near Thornville, Ohio and was looking for someone to rent it on the shares. So we decided to sell our house and move to this farm. We were entitled to a garden space, one hog a year for meat, a milk cow and a certain percentage of the crops. I don't remember what it was. This farm was an Angus cattle farm. However, we had a Jersey cow which produced all the milk and cream that we needed.

Tim was a little over a year old when we moved there and Paul used to take him to the barn with him to feed the beef cows. Tim was not afraid of any of them. Once when Paul had his back turned Tim crawled in one of the pens with the bull. If it hadn't been for the soft straw and the manure the bull would have mauled him to death. This gave us quite a scare.

Just before our second child was to be born in December my sister, Emily, came from Washington, D.C. where she was stationed as a nurse and my mother flew from California to be with me at the birth of our second child. Since my doctor was in Columbus and I did not change doctors when we moved, I was told not to wait too long before coming to the hospital. Again, we had no hospitalization insurance. When the time came for me to go the only money we had to take with us was a $50 gift for Christmas from Sheriff Sandusky. Mother and Emily stayed at home to be with Tim. Linda Lee Vance made her appearance on Dec.16, 1947. However, when we arrived at the hospital on the 15th they were hesitant about admitting us because we had no insurance. However, Paul gave them the $50 and they took me. For at least 24 hours after Linda was born I had no nurse or nurse's aide or anyone to come in and clean me up. After a day and a half my doctor asked if I had someone to take care of me at home. When I told him my sister was there and was a registered nurse, he said, "You will get better treatment at home. Go home."

On Christmas Day my mother came down with the flu and Paul's mother and father who lived in Columbus were supposed to come for Christmas Dinner. However, they both had the flu. So Paul and I got in the car with Linda and drove to Columbus so they could see the new baby on Christmas Day.

This would be a Christmas I might not ever forget. We decorated a little tree for Tim and a family named Gettys lived near us and brought gifts for him. Also, my mother and sister had gifts for him. Linda was our gift to each other.

My mother baked a fruit cake while she was with us as she always baked a fruit cake at Christmas. Normally she used wine to enhance the flavor and keep the cake moist. However, Paul was adamant about bringing any alcoholic beverage into our home and she respected his wishes and didn't pursue it.

Later we rented a farm from Mose Gettys which was in the Thornville area. When I discovered I was pregnant again we chose a Dr.Clouse at Somerset. He took his patients to Zanesville where E. J. was born September 15, 1949. Dr. Clouse always planned a hunting trip in September and you might know he was on his hunting trip when I went to Good Samaritan in Zanesville. She was delivered by the house doctor whom I had never seen before.

One of our cows went into labor the same day I did. As soon as Paul was able to get back to the farm after E.J. was born he proceeded to deliver a new calf. Unfortunately the calf was breach and with the help of neighbors, they were able to turn the calf for its natural birth. However, the cow died several days later.