Andrew Shroyer, who died December 9, 1790, married Elizabeth Brannon. Their daughter, Sarah Angeline Shroyer, married Isaac Vance on April 2, 1872. Jay Byron Vance, their son, was Paul's father.

Paul was one of three brothers born to Jay Byron Vance and Florence Ella (Brown) Vance. His Mother, Florence, died when Paul was only three years old. She died May 4, 1924 and was buried in a plot at Greenlawn Cemetery in Columbus, Ohio that was owned by her uncle, Henry Smith. Money was very scarce when she died and they could not afford to buy a plot for her.

Paul's Mother's parents were Ella (Smith) and Joshua H. Brown. They lived in Columbus at 333 S. Pearl in 1908 and 112 W. Noble in 1910. Joshua was a sailor and must have been an officer as he was called "Captain." He was married twice and Florence was of the first marriage. He had one hand off and wore a hook in its place. He was a house painter. Ella died and he remarried having two more daughters, Laura and Pearl. Laura married Harry Hoessle and they never had children. He was a radio executive. Pearl married three times, Mitchell, Hausberg and Henry Haas. Pearl had two boys by Hausberg. One of them was William, a linoleum layer from Dayton. The other boy's name is unknown.

Paul was four on July 4 of the year his Mother died. Jay later married his first wife's cousin, Clara Valentine Grice, Mother of Fred Grice. Fred's father died before he was born. Paul's two brothers were Byron Lyle and Gerald Kenneth. Together they raised the four boys in Columbus. They lived just off Livingston Ave. on Berkley Road in a large two story part brick and part shingle home.

Paul and some of his neighborhood pals used to play baseball in what was known as the Driving Range. One day Paul injured his wrist playing and when he returned home his stepmother told him to sit on a chair until his father came home from work.

She did not drive and in those days there was not 911. He used to tell me how much pain he was in until his father came home. But he was expected to wait. After he had been taken to the hospital it was determined that his wrist was broken and had to be put in a plaster of paris cast which was heavy and a burden. He always had problems with that wrist being crooked. It had not been properly set. After we had married and his wrist was broken again the doctor who treated him reset it properly.

Since there were no girls in this family the boys were required to help with the household chores. Paul did dusting of the banisters that went upstairs, changed the bed sheets, made his bed each day, and performed various other household duties. His brother Jerry also helped him with the bed making. Paul told me he had a morning paper route and so he was up at 4 or 4:30 a.m. to deliver his papers, The Columbus Citizen. Then he came home and did his chores before he left for school. His stepmother cooked the meals but she didn't do much baking. So, when Paul wanted a cake he mixed it up himself. It's a good thing he had this training because after we were married he helped me with cooking because I couldn't boil water.

Paul related to me his childhood memories of going to family reunions at Coshocton. This was the Vance-Wiggins Reunion. His father, Jay, and stepmother, Clara ,would bring to the reunions Paul and his two brothers, Gerald and Byron. Sometimes Clara's son, Fred Grice, would come.

He especially remembered his Aunt Bettie and her children, his first cousins. Bettie was Jay Vance's sister and was married to Harry Wiggins and they had five children: Roland, Helen Adellia who later married Squire Crouso, Clarence who was married to Ruth Newell, Dale and Dortha, who were twin. Dortha married Robert E. Cannon. They had two children, Nancy Ann who married Bob Stipes and Robert Allan Cannon who was killed in an auto/train accident in November of 1950 when he was only four years old.

Roland and Opal Marie Montgomery had one son, Eugene Wiggins, who lives in Valpariso, Indiana.

Helen and Squire had one daughter, Eileen, who later married Elmer Shryock. They had two children, Diane and John. Her second marriage was to Russell Laughlin. A few years after their marriage, Eileen passed away with cancer.

Clarence and Ruth's children were Ralph Walter, Betty Ann who married Kenneth Ragland, Alice Annabelle who married Jim Foster, James (Jim), Richard (Dick) who married Nellie Jean Karr and Virginia Kay. Ruth passed away when the children were still young. Later Ralph, Jim, Betty, Alice and Richard were taken in by Helen and Squire Crouso. Virginia Kay went to live with Lucile and Dale Wiggins. When she was three years old, Lucile's sister, Virginia and her husband, Roy Lipps adopted her.

Dale married Lucile Wilson. They had two children, Sharon Elaine who married Sam Coakley and Robert Wayne. Wayne was married to Judy Ormesher and they had four children: Danny, Roger, Archie and Tina. They were later divorced and Wayne married Misty Dreher.

Paul's Aunt Lula Vance married Richard M. Eckels. They had four children: Richard, Dent, Harry and Leone. Leone married Ralph Sharples and their daughter, Betty Larue Sharples, married Bert Miskimens.

Frank Vance married Mabel V. Coulter. Mabel became ill while carrying their first child with appendicitis and died before the baby was born. The baby was never delivered and they were buried in one grave on Christmas Day. Frank's second marriage was to Annabelle Emswiller. They had no children.

Helen L. Vance married George E. Littleton June 24, 1916. She was quite young and developed tuberculosis shortly after they were married. He left with his father to go out West and never returned. She did hear from him through letters in which he sent money to her for awhile. However, after the letters stopped coming she eventually got a divorce. He was presumed dead. Years later she married Doc Watson.

Paul graduated from South High School. He was told that their high school year book pictures had to be taken by a photographer that the school had chosen. He didn't like to be told with whom he could do business. Anyway it was more expensive than one he would pick out since he was paying for it from his paper route. In spite of the fact that the school told him it could not be done he did go elsewhere and his picture was placed in the year book.

Another story Paul told me was about the time he took his girl to a movie in downtown Columbus. Afterwards they went to a White Castle for hamburgers. At that time there were no McDonald's. When the waitress took their order, Paul told her he did not want any condiments on his hamburger - just meat and bun. She answered, "It doesn't cost any more." But he did get his hamburger plain.