When E.J. was four months old we made the decision to move to California. Paul was to work for my Uncle Homer as a handyman on his La Habra Estate. This included keeping up the grounds which had fruit and nut trees and also, maintaining the swimming pool. We lived above a garage in an upstairs apartment. For two months it was rosy. Uncle Homer paid Paul fairly well. We had our housing and utilities paid. Then true to his nature, Uncle Homer decided that I was to do the housekeeping in his large home. Paul said, "That wasn't part of the deal". Uncle Homer replied, "We'll make it part of the deal". My husband retored, "No way". My

Uncle said, "You can't leave." Paul's response was "Just watch me."


We left California to return to Ohio with a four year old, a two year old, and a six month old plus $80. in cash. Since we knew we had to stretch that money we didn't stop at a motel for rest until we reached Oklahoma City. The children survived the trip as well if not better than Paul and I since they slept most of the time. We stopped for rest stops to eat and use restrooms. Paul and I took turns driving and occasionally pulled over for both of us to take a nap. After an overnight stay at a motel in Oklahoma where we all had baths, showers and much needed sleep in a bed, we were revived enough to continue our journey. Our next stop was near St. Louis, Missouri. After a night in St. Louis we drove the rest of the trip into Thornville, Ohio where our good friends, Jane and Barney Ogden, took us in.

Shortly after we arrived Paul went job hunting in Columbus and obtained a job in the service department of a new car dealership - Rush Motors. We found a place to rent at Buckeye Lake. This house was completely furnished and Paul commuted to his job in Columbus daily. Jerry Blackstone, a wealthy resident farmer, owned the house as a summer home and owned the grain elevator in Thornville.

We lived there just during the summer until we found the house on Karl Road in Columbus. Our first Thanksgiving day on Karl Road is memorable. It was the year Carol Lynn was born. A few days after her birth, my doctor hospitalized me. I was

not allowed on my feet or out of bed. I had been nursing Carol, so here I was, with breasts as sore as boils, full of milk, that had to be dried up. A neighbor on Karl Road, Gladys Weaver, took Carol until we could find a more permanent solution.

This lady had small children of her own, so she had her hands full with a new born added to the household. I'm sorry to say, I don't even remember her name, but I will never forget what she did for us. Then there was the problem of finding some place for Tim, Linda and Ellajean. Paul's parents lived in Columbus and they took Tim. He was five years old. Paul's brother and sister-in-law, Byron and Ella Vance, took Linda and Ellajean. I remember Ella telling me that Ellajean was so small that one day when she was sitting on the toilet, she fell in and Ella had to fish her out. Our friends, Art and Ann White took Carol as the permanent solution. Art was a Columbus fireman. They had two boys and had always wanted a girl. They kept her for two months, until I was able to have her back home.

After I was sent home from the hospital, I still had to be in bed. We had a sofa bed in our living room and that is where I stayed most of the time. On Thanksgiving day, Paul and I were there alone. We had much to be thankful for, though. I was out of the hopsital, the children were being taken care of and we didn't go hungry. Paul opened a can of tomato soup. He always made cream of tomato soup, adding milk instead of water. This, along with crackers and a few added side dishes was our Thanksgiving feast! Of course, we had to have peanut butter for our crackers.

I was able to visit Ann White and see Carol twice during the time that she was with the Whites, and when I was able to bring her home, Ann and her two sons, six and eight, cried, since they had become so attached to Carol. It took awhile for Carol to get used to her real mother. I was a stranger to her.